Students in the RUYES program will:
- Receive hands-on training in cutting-edge cancer research.
- Conduct research in mentor-supervised laboratories for 10 weeks per summer for two consecutive years.
- Prepare a poster and a 10-minute talk based on their research experience for presentation at the Annual Research Day.
- Participate for 2 weeks (total time in any combination) per year, in post-summer professional development, for two consecutive years
- Participate in educational seminars addressing key concepts in cancer and exploring the research literature.
- Receive compensation for their time and other possible expenses.
Who Is Eligible?
To be eligible for the RUYES program a student must be:
- A rising high school junior/senior or rising freshman/sophomore undergraduate
- From one of the following underrepresented backgrounds:
- African American
- Native American
- Alaska Native
- Pacific Islander
- A first generation college student
- From a lower socioeconomic background
- A citizen or permanent resident (green-card holder) of the United States
- Willing to commit to two full years of participation in the program
- Highly motivated and academically able to pursue a career in biomedical/cancer science
- Must attend a school or university in New Jersey
How to Apply
Summer 2021 Application is now closed. Please check back October 2021 for applications for summer 2022.
To complete your application, you will be asked to include:
- Full student contact information (name, email, phone number, name of school district) and personal demographics. High school students will need consent of a parent/guardian.
You should also be prepared to upload the following documents:
- A copy of your transcripts. An unofficial transcript will be accepted for the application process; upon acceptance please prepare to have your school send your official transcripts.
- A two-page essay. Please answer the following questions in essay form. Your submission must be typed, double-spaced, and no more than two pages in length. Be sure to put your name on each page of your response to the essay questions.
- Discuss your long-term career and/or educational goals.
- Describe your favorite learning experience. (This does not have to be limited to a school experience.)
- Why do you believe this research opportunity is a good fit for you?
- What do you plan on gaining from this research experience?
- Two letters of recommendation, one of which is from a teacher or college faculty member. If your reference prefers to send the letter separately, attach a PDF of your request to your application and have them email the letter to RUYES@cinj.rutgers.edu.
For assistance or additional information, contact RUYES@cinj.rutgers.edu.