Research Administrative Assistant
Prasanta Dey, Ph.D.
Prasanta obtained his M.Sc. in Medicinal Chemistry from M.G.R. Medical University in India. He subsequently completed his Ph.D. from the SungKyunKwan University in South Korea, where he investigated the role of pyruvate kinase M2 in metabolic reprogramming of kidney cancer. In the Gulhati lab, Prasanta is interested in understanding the complex interplay between the gut microbiome and colorectal cancer (CRC) with the goal of identifying novel drug targets and therapeutic strategies against CRC. He expects that his research will contribute to advances in clinical management of CRC patients. Prasanta has received various awards for his research including Merit scholarship from Govt. of Tripura, India; Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) from Translational Health Science and Technology Institute, Department of Biotechnology, India; Outstanding Foreign Student Scholarship Award from SungKyunKwan University, South Korea among others.
List of Publications:
- Jeon M, Park J, Dey P, Oh Y, Oh H, Han S, Um SH, Kim HS, Mishra NK, Kim IS. Site‐Selective Rhodium(III)‐Catalyzed C−H Amination of 7‐Azaindoles with Anthranils: Synthesis and Anticancer Evaluation (2017). Advanced Synthesis & Catalysis.
- Jeong T, Hun S, Mishra NK, De U, Jihye P, Dey P, Hwan KJ, Hoon JY, Kim HS, Kim IS. Synthesis and Cytotoxic Evaluation of N‐Aroylureas through Rhodium (III)‐Catalyzed C− H Functionalization of Indolines with Isocyanates (2017). Advanced Synthesis & Catalysis.
- Kumar P, Bag S, Ghosh TS, Dey P, Dayal M, Saha B, Verma J, Pant A, Saxena S, Desigamani A, Rana P, Kumar D, Sharma NC, Hanpude P, Maiti TK, Mukhopadhyay AK, Bhadra RK, Nair GB, Ramamurthy T, Das B. Molecular Insights into Antimicrobial Resistance Traits of Multidrug Resistant Enteric Pathogens isolated from India (2017). Scientific Reports.
- Jeong T, Mishra NK, Dey P, Oh H, Hun S, Lee SH, Kim HS, Park J, Kim IS. C(sp3)–H amination of 8-methylquinolines with azodicarboxylates under Rh(III) catalysis: cytotoxic valuation of quinolin-8-ylmethanamines (2017). Chemical Communications.
- Tae IH, Park EY, Dey P, Son JY, Lee SY, Jung JH, Saloni S, Kim MH, Kim IS. Novel SIRT1 inhibitor 15-deoxy-Δ12, 14-prostaglandin J2 and its derivatives exhibit anticancer activity through apoptotic or autophagic cell death pathways in SKOV3 cells (2018). International Journal of Oncology.
- Dey P, Kundu A, Sachan R, Park JH, Ahn MY, Yoon K, Lee J, Kim ND, Kim IS, Lee BM, Kim HS. PKM2 Knockdown Induces Autophagic Cell Death via AKT/mTOR Pathway in Human Prostate Cancer Cells (2019). Cellular Physiology and Biochemistry.
- Verma J, Bag S, Saha B, Kumar P, Ghosh TS, Dayal M, Senapati T, Mehra S, Dey P, Desigamani A, Kumar D, Rana P, Kumar B, Maiti TK, Sharma NC, Bhadra RK, Mutreja A, Nair GB, Ramamurthy T, Das B. Genomic plasticity associated with antimicrobial resistance in Vibrio cholerae (2019). Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America.
- Dey P, Son JY, Kundu A, Kim KS, Lee Y, Yoon K, Yoon S, Lee BM, Nam KT, Kim HS. Knockdown of Pyruvate Kinase M2 inhibits cell proliferation, metabolism and migration in renal cell carcinoma (2019). International Journal of Molecular Sciences.
- Kundu A, Dey P, Sarkar P, Karmakar S, Tae IH, Kim KS, Park JH, Lee SH, Lee BM, Renthlei L, Puia Z, Kim HS. Protective effects of Croton hookeri on streptozotocin-induced diabetic nephropathy (2019). Food and Chemical Toxicology.
- Lee SH, Kim K, Jeon YU, Kundu A, Dey P, Hwang JY, Mishra NK, Kim HS, Kim IS. Lewis acid- mediated cross-coupling reaction of 7-azaindoles andaldehydes: Cytotoxic evaluation of C3-linked bis-7-azaindoles (2019). Tetrahedron Letters.
- Sachan R, Dey P, Park C, Yang J, Son JY, Park JH, Lee SH, Ahn MY, Kim IS, Moon HR, Kim HS. A New Histone Deacetylase Inhibitor, MHY4381, Induces Apoptosis via Generation of Reactive Oxygen Species in Human Prostate Cancer Cells (2019). Biomolecules & Therapeutics.
- Sachan R, Kundu A, Dey P, Son JY, Kim KS, Lee DE, Kim HR, Park JH, Lee SH, Kim JH, Cao S, Lee BM, Kwak JH and Kim HS. Dendropanax morbifera protects against renal fibrosis in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats (2020). Antioxidants.
- Kundu A, Sachan R, Dey P, Kim KS, Son JY, Kim HR, Lee SY, Lee BH, Lee KY, Kacew S, Lee BM, Kim HS. Protective effect of the SIRT1 inhibitor, EX-527, against high-fat diet-induced nephrotoxicity in Zucker diabetic rats (2020). Toxicology and applied pharmacology.
- Kundu A, Dey P, Bera R, Sarkar R, Kim B, Kacew S, Lee BM, Karmakar S, Kim HS. Adverse health risk from prolonged consumption of formaldehyde-preserved carps in eastern region of Indian population (2020). Environmental Science and Pollution Research.
- Kundu A, Dey P, Park JH, Kim IS, Kwack SJ, Kim HS. EX-527 Prevents the Progression of High-Fat Diet-Induced Hepatic Steatosis and Fibrosis by Upregulating SIRT4 in Zucker Rats (2020). Cells.
- Dey P, Kundu A, Han SH, Kim KS, Park JH, Yoon S, Lee J, Kim IS, Kim HS. Biological evaluation of oxindole derivative as a novel anticancer agent against human kidney carcinoma cells (2020). Biomolecules.
- Dey P, Kundu A, Chakraborty HJ, Kar B, Choi WS, Lee BM, Bhakta T, Atanasov AG, Kim HS. Therapeutic value of steroidal alkaloids in cancer: Current trends and future perspectives (2018). International Journal of Cancer.
Sanith Cheriyamundath, Ph.D.
Sanith obtained his M.Sc. in Biotechnology from Amrita University and subsequently completed his Ph.D. in Biotechnology from University of Calicut in India. He worked at Weizmann Institute of Science in Israel, characterizing the mechanisms underlying L1CAM-mediated growth and metastasis of colorectal cancer. In the Gulhati lab, Sanith is interested in understanding signaling interactions between pancreatic cancer cells and the stromal microenvironment, including fibroblasts and immune cells. He is focused on identifying novel therapeutic targets that enhance therapeutic efficacy of immune checkpoint therapy and chemotherapy. He expects that his findings will contribute to advances in the treatment of pancreatic cancer patients.
List of Publications:
- Sanith Cheriyamundath, Anmol Kumar, Nancy Gavert, Thomas Brabletz, and Avri Ben-Ze’ev, The collagen modifying enzyme PLOD2 is induced and required during L1-mediated colon cancer progression, 2021, Vol 22, Issue 7, 3552, International Journal of Molecular Sciences.
- Sanith Cheriyamundath, Avri Ben-Ze’ev, Wnt/β-catenin target genes in colon cancer metastasis: The special case of L1CAM, 2020, Vol 12, Issue 11, Article no 3444, Cancers.
- Sanith Cheriyamundath, Sirisha L. Vavilala, Marine algal‐derived pharmaceuticals- potential anticancer agents, 2020, Chapter 120, Vol 5, Page 2691-2724, Book: Encyclopedia of Marine Biotechnology.
- Sanith Cheriyamundath, Sayon Basu, Gal Haase, Harry Doernberg, Nancy Gavert, Thomas Brabletz and Avri Ben-Ze’ev, ISG15 induction is required during L1-mediated colon cancer progression and metastasis. 2019, Vol 10, Issue 67, Page 7122-7131, Oncotarget.
- Sayon Basu, Sanith Cheriyamundath, Nancy Gavert, Thomas Brabletz, Gal Haase, Avri Ben-Ze’ev, Increased expression of cathepsin D is required for L1-mediated colon cancer progression. 2019, Vol 10, Issue 50, Page 5217-5228, Oncotarget.
- Sanith Cheriyamundath, Tejashree Mahaddalkar, Praveen Kumar Reddy Nagireddy, Balasubramanian Sridhar, Srinivas Kantevari, Manu Lopus, Insights into the structure and tubulin-targeted anticancer potential of N-(3-bromobenzyl) noscapine. 2019, Vol 71, Issue 1, Page 48-53, Pharmacological Reports.
- Sayon Basu, Sanith Cheriyamundath, Avri Ben-Ze’ev, Cell–cell adhesion: linking Wnt/β-catenin signaling with partial EMT and stemness traits in tumorigenesis. 2018, F1000Research 2018, 7(F1000 Faculty Rev):1488.
- Sanith Cheriyamundath, Rahul Raghavan, Deepika Vinod, Megha KB, Robert Owen, Karel D Klika, Joseph madassery, Cytotoxic effect of (Z)-ethylidene-4,6-dimethoxycoumaran-3-one isolated from Pogostemon quadrifolius(Benth.) on PC-3 and DU-145 prostate cancer cells. 2018, Vol 88, Issue 4, Page 1581–1588, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, India Section B: Biological Sciences.
- Rahul Raghavan, Sanith Cheriyamundath, Joseph Madassery, Exploring the mechanisms of cytotoxic and anti‐inflammatory property of andrographolide and its derivatives. 2018, Vol 12, Issue 23, Page 56-65, Pharmacognosy Reviews.
- Megha KB, Sanith Cheriyamundath, Joseph Madassery, Elyas KK, Preliminary screening of phytochemicals, antiproliferative and anti-inflammatory properties of Thespesia Populnea (L.) soland leaf extracts. 2018, Vol 11, issue 5, page 382-386, Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and clinical research.
- Priyanka Kamble, Sanith Cheriyamundath, Manu Lopus, VL Sirisha, Chemical characteristics, antioxidant and anticancer potential of sulfated polysaccharides from Chlamydomonas reinhardtii, 2018, Vol 30, Issue 3, Page 1641–1653, Journal of Applied Phycology.
- Sanith Cheriyamundath, Tejashree Mahaddalkar, Shreyada N Save, Sinjan Choudhary, Ramakrishna V Hosur, and Manu Lopus, Aqueous extract of Triphala inhibits cancer cell proliferation through perturbation of microtubule assembly dynamics. 2018, Vol 98, Page 76-81, Biomedicine & Pharmacotherapy.
- Sanith Cheriyamundath, Sinjan Choudhary, and Manu Lopus, Safranal inhibits hela cell viability by perturbing the reassembly potential of microtubules, 2018, Vol 32, Issue 1, Page 170-173, Phytotherapy Research.
- Sanith Cheriyamundath, Rahul Raghavan, Asoke Banerji, Karel D. Klika, Cornelia Ulrich, Robert W. Owen, Joseph Madassery, Bioassay-guided isolation and evaluation of antiproliferative effect of (Z)-ethylidene-4,6-dimethoxycoumaran-3-one – from Pogostemon quadrifolius (Benth.), 2017, Vol 18, Issue 7, Page 1783-1790, Asian Pacific Journal of Cancer Prevention.
- Tejashree Mahaddalkar, Sourabh Mehta, Sanith Cheriyamundath, Muthurajan Harries, Manu Lopus, Tryptone-stabilized gold nanoparticles target tubulin and inhibit cell viability by inducing an unusual form of cell cycle arrest, 2017, Vol 360, Issue 2, Page 163-170, Experimental Cell Research.
- Dokka Narasimham, Yeduguri Hima Bindu, Sanith Cheriyamundath, Rahul Raghavan, Meruva Keerthi Kumari, Thummala Chandrasekhar, Joseph Madassery, Evaluation of in vitro anticancer and antioxidant activities from leaf extracts of medicinal plant Clidemia hirta, 2017, Vol 9, Issue 4, Page 149-53, International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences.
- Sanith Cheriyamundath, Tejashree Mahaddalkar, Srinivas Kantevari, Manu Lopus, Induction of acetylation and bundling of cellular microtubules by 9-(4-vinylphenyl) noscapine elicits S-phase arrest in MDA-MB-231 cells, 2017, Vol 86, Page 74-80, Biomedicine & Pharmacotherapy.
- Tejashree Mahaddalkar, Naresh Manchukonda, Sinjan Choudhary, Sanith Cheriyamundath, Neha Mohanpuria, Srinivas Kantevari, Manu Lopus, Subtle Alterations in Microtubule Assembly Dynamics by Br‐TMB‐noscapine strongly suppress triple‐negative breast cancer cell viability without mitotic arrest. 2016, Vol 1, Issue 14, Page 4313-4319, ChemistrySelect.
- Sanith Cheriyamundath, Rahul Raghavan, Joseph madassery, DPPH radical scavenging property of methanol leaf extract from Pogostemon quadrifolius (Benth.). 2015, Vol 9, issue 7, Page 361-367, Research Journal of Medicinal plant.
- Sanith Cheriyamundath, Rahul Raghavan, KB Megha, Joseph madassery, (Z)-ethylidene-4,6-dimethoxycoumaran-3-one induces apoptosis in chronic myelogenous leukemia cell line. 2015, Vol 9, issue 2, Page 86-91. International Journal of Biological Chemistry.
- Rahul Raghavan, Sanith Cheriyamundath, Joseph madassery, Dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO) inactivates the anticancer effect of cisplatin against human mylogenous leukemia cell lines in invitro assays. 2015, Vol 47, Issue 3, Page 322-324, Indian Journal of Pharmacology.
- Karel D Klika, Sanith Cheriyamundath, Ragul Raghavan, Megha KB, Asoke Banerji, Robert Owen, Joseph madassery: Ethylidene-4,6-dimethoxycoumaran-3-one: the C2=C8 double bond configuration. 2014, Vol 55, issue 48, Page 6550-53, Tetrahedron letters.
- Rahul Raghavan, Sanith Cheriyamundath, Joseph madassery: 14-deoxy-11,12-didehydroandrographolide inhibits proliferation and induces GSH depended cell death of human promonocytic leukemic cells. 2014, Vol 68, issue 2, Page 387-94, Journal of natural medicine.
- Gajanan Kendre, Rahul Raghavan, Sanith Cheriyamundath, Joseph Madassery. Tetracycline and glutathione inhibit matrix metalloproteinase activity: an in vitro study using culture supernatants of L929 and Dalton lymphoma cell lines. 2013, Volume 2013 (2013), Journal of Cancer Research.
- Rahul Raghavan, Sanith Cheriyamundath, Joseph madassery: Andrographolide, a new potential NF-kB inhibitor: docking simulation and evaluation of drug-likeness. 2012, Vol 38, Issue.7, Page 582-588, Molecular Simulation.
Join the Lab
The Gulhati lab is seeking multiple energetic, highly motivated post-doctoral fellows with broad interests in gastrointestinal cancers, cancer biology, tumor microenvironment, tumor immunology and translational research to join our dynamic team. Candidates must have a PhD and/or MD.
We are also seeking an experienced research scientist to work independently. A PhD degree in biological sciences and prior cancer research experience is required.
Ph.D. students, Masters students and Residents/Fellows interested in rotating in our laboratory are welcome, depending on space.
Interested candidates should contact the PI at email@example.com with your CV, cover letter with research interests/career goals and names/contacts of three references.