David J. Foran, PhD
Chief Informatics Officer, Executive Director of Biomedical Informatics
The overarching mission of the Biomedical Informatics Shared Resource is to provide the requisite tools, expertise, and training to foster advances in research and discovery while enhancing patient care and initiating and sustaining productive collaborations among investigators at Rutgers Cancer Institute of New Jersey and throughout the clinical and research communities.
To meet the needs of the new Precision Medicine and translational programs at Rutgers Cancer Institute of New Jersey, this shared resource is organized into the following services:
Biomedical Informatics & Systems Biology
Provide support for Genome Scale Analyses and Microarray Database and Analysis
Clinical & Research IT
Data Warehouse Services/Integrative Cancer Biology and Data Mining, and Clinical Data Repository and Services
Whole-slide Imaging and Computational Image Analysis for Pathology and Radiology
Cheminformatics Modeling and Analysis
The primary objectives of this shared resource are to provide:
- Support for large-scale, high-throughput analysis of biomedical data
- Data warehousing and data-mining capabilities to facilitate cancer biology studies and precision medicine initiatives
- Migrate and productionalize cutting-edge computational and imaging tools to facilitate clinical trials and services
- Support for in silico chemical informatics analyses and drug discovery
- Software and applications development to support web-based and other clinical, research and educational activities
- State-of-art histopathology whole-slide imaging and fluorescent imaging service
- Access to the whole slide images using distributed (virtual) microscopy
- Unsupervised computer analysis of stained immunohistochemistry TMA slides in order to quantify expression of specific proteins and/or mRNA species within particular cell- or tissue types
- Annotation of TMA tissue specimens by linkage of the image database to the Office of Human Research Services database for approved projects
- Consultation and help for custom microscopic image analysis projects
- Longitudinal studies in radiology for detecting and tracking tumor response to treatment
ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF SHARED RESOURCES
The shared resources of the Rutgers Cancer Institute of New Jersey are specialized service facilities that support the cancer research efforts of our members.
The shared resources are supported primarily by the Cancer Center Support Grant (CCSG) from the National Cancer Institute. Additional support may be provided from other sources, such as chargeback systems, institutional funding and/or other grants. The support from the CCSG allows the core facilities to provide benefits to Cancer Center members, such as ensured access to services or subsidies to user rates.
Please remember to acknowledge the valuable services provided by Cancer Institute of New Jersey Shared Resources in your research papers, publications and grant applications:
"This research was supported by the [insert name(s)] Shared Resource(s) of the Rutgers Cancer Institute of New Jersey (P30CA072720)."