New Brunswick, N.J. – Several physicians at Rutgers Cancer Institute of New Jersey have been named as a ‘Top Doctor for Cancer Care’ by Inside Jersey magazine. Each year, Inside Jersey releases a list of the state’s top physicians for cancer care in conjunction with Castle Connolly Medical Ltd., which publishes America’s Top Doctors. Based on peer surveys, attributes such as board certification, clinical skills, training, years in practice, administrative posts, achievements and other criteria are reviewed and assessed by a physician-led research team assembled by Castle Connolly. Cancer Institute of New Jersey physicians are among a select group this year.
“With New Jersey having one of the highest rates of cancer incidence in the nation, it is imperative that Rutgers Cancer Institute of New Jersey – the state’s only National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center – continue to provide the highest quality of patient care. Through options such as clinical trials, precision medicine, other research efforts, and utilizing the latest surgical and radiation technologies, our physicians continue to make progress and win the fight against cancer. It is an honor that our peers recognize our efforts, as well as those of the physicians from our network of hospitals throughout the state,” said Rutgers Cancer Institute Director Robert S. DiPaola, MD.
Cancer Institute of New Jersey physicians on this year’s list are also faculty members at Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School and practice at the Cancer Institute’s Flagship Hospital Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital. Those named to the 2015 list are:
- Joseph Aisner, MD, Co-Director, Lung Cancer/Thoracic Oncology Program; specialty: lung cancer
- David A. August, MD, Section Chief, Gastrointestinal Surgical Oncology; specialty: gastrointestinal malignancies
- Joel K. Braver, MD, radiation oncologist; specialty: prostate, breast and lung cancers
- Robert S. DiPaola, MD, Director; specialty: prostate cancer
- Richard Drachtman, MD, Section Chief, Pediatric Hematology/Oncology; specialty: pediatric cancers and blood disorders
- Bruce G. Haffty, MD, Chair, Radiation Oncology; specialty: breast cancer
- Pauline Lerma, MD, medical oncologist; specialty: breast cancer, solid tumors
- Michael G. McKenna, MD, radiation oncologist; specialty: prostate IMRT, breast cancer, and head and neck cancers
- Lorna Rodriguez, MD, PhD, Director, Precision Medicine; specialty: gynecologic cancers
- Roger Strair, MD, PhD, Chief, Hematologic Malignancies and Blood and Marrow Transplantation; specialty: leukemia and lymphoma
- Deborah L. Toppmeyer, MD, Chief Medical Officer, and Director, Stacy Goldstein Breast Cancer Center and the LIFE Center; specialty: breast cancer
- Robert E. Weiss, MD, urologic oncologist; specialty: urologic cancers
A full listing of ‘Top Doctors’ can be found at: http://www.castleconnolly.com/doctors/index.cfm?source=ijtdfc. Full profiles of Cancer Institute doctors named to the list can also be found at http://www.cinj.org/physician/index.php.
About Rutgers Cancer Institute of New Jersey
Rutgers Cancer Institute of New Jersey (www.cinj.org) is the state’s first and only National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center. As part of Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, the Cancer Institute of New Jersey is dedicated to improving the detection, treatment and care of patients with cancer, and to serving as an education resource for cancer prevention. Physician-scientists at the Cancer Institute engage in translational research, transforming their laboratory discoveries into clinical practice, quite literally bringing research to life. To make a tax-deductible gift to support the Cancer Institute of New Jersey, call 848-932-3637 or visit www.cinj.org/giving. Follow us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/TheCINJ.
The Cancer Institute of New Jersey Network is comprised of hospitals throughout the state and provides the highest quality cancer care and rapid dissemination of important discoveries into the community. Flagship Hospital: Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital. System Partner: Meridian Health (Jersey Shore University Medical Center, Ocean Medical Center, Riverview Medical Center, Southern Ocean Medical Center, and Bayshore Community Hospital). Major Clinical Research Affiliate Hospitals: Carol G. Simon Cancer Center at Morristown Medical Center and Carol G. Simon Cancer Center at Overlook Medical Center. Affiliate Hospitals: JFK Medical Center, Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital Hamilton (CINJ Hamilton), and Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital Somerset.