John J. Graff, PhD, MS
Associate Professor of Radiation Oncology
Cancer Institute of New Jersey
Phone: (732) 235-6499
Assistant: Serena Yip
Research Program Alignment
Membership Type: Full
- Dr. Graff's research focus is in quality and outcomes of cancer care. As a founding member of the multi-disciplinary, multi-institutional Cancer Surveillance and Outcomes Research Team (CanSORT), Dr. Graff is currently evaluating patterns and quality of breast cancer treatment in racially/ethnically diverse SEER populations. This research evaluates patterns of breast cancer care in patients with ductal carcinoma in situ in Latinas and African Americans
- Assesses the role of the health care system in contributing to patient outcomes in breast cancer treatment
- Evaluates patterns and correlates of breast reconstruction following mastectomy
- And examines the impact of breast cancer on patient quality of life and work and financial issues in the survivorship period. Dr. Graff and the CanSORT team are currently preparing two new applications to investigate: 1) pharmacogenetic and sociobehavioral correlates of non-persistence with adjuvant endocrine therapy in a diverse population-based sample of women with ER-positive invasive breast cancer
- And 2) patterns and predictors of quality of life, service use and coping capabilities in adolescent and young adult cancer survivors.
Graff, J.J., Sathiakumar, N., Macaluso, M., Maldonado, G., Matthews, R., Delzell, E. The effect of uncertainty in exposure estimation on the exposure-response relation between 1,3-butadiene and leukemia. Int J Environ Res Public Health 2009;6(9):2436-2455.
Morrow, M., Jagsi, R., Alderman, A., Griggs, J.J., Hawley, S.T., Hamilton, A.S., Graff, J.J., Katz, S.J. Surgeon recommendation and receipt of mastectomy for breast cancer. JAMA 2009;302(14):1551-1556.
Janz, N.K., Mujahid, M.S., Hawley, S.T., Griggs, J.J., Alderman, A., Graff, J.J., Jagsi, R., Katz, S.J. Racial/ethnic differences in quality of life after diagnosis of breast cancer. J Cancer Surv 2009;3(4):212-22.
Katz, S.J., Hawley, S.T., Morrow, M., Griggs, J.J., Jagsi, R., Hamilton, A.S., Graff, J.J., Friese, C.R., Hofer, T.P. Coordinating cancer care: patient and practice management processes among surgeons who treat breast cancer. Medical Care 2010;48(1):45-51.
Jagsi, R., Abrahamse, P., Morrow, M., Hawley, S.T., Griggs, J.J., Graff, J.J., Hamilton, A.S., Katz, S.J. Patterns and correlates of adjuvant radiotherapy receipt after lumpectomy and after mastectomy for breast cancer. J Clinical Oncology 2010;28(14):2396-2403.
Katz, S.J., Hawley, S.T., Abrahamse, M.A., Morrow, M., Friese, C.R., Alderman, A.K., Griggs, J.J., Hamilton, A.S., Graff, J.J., Hofer, T.P. Does it matter where you go for breast surgery? Attending surgeon’s influence on variation in receipt of mastectomy for breast cancer. Medical Care 2010;48(10):1-8.
Hawley, S.T., Janz, N.K., Lillie, S.E., Friese, C.R., Griggs, J.J., Graff, J.J., Hamilton, A.S., Jain, S., Katz, S.J. Perceptions of care coordination in a population based sample of diverse breast cancer patients. Patient Educ Couns 2010; Suppl:S34-40.
Nahleh, Z., Abrams, J., Bhargaval, J., Nirmal, K., Graff, J.J. Outcomes of patients with early breast cancer receiving nitrogen-containing bisphosphonates: a comparative analysis of the metropolitan Detroit caner surveillance system. Clin Breast Cancer 2010;10(6):459-64.
Janz, N.K., Hawley, S.T., Mujahid, M.S., Griggs, J.J., Alderman, A.K., Graff, J.J., Hamilton, A.S., Katz, S.J. Correlates of worry about recurrence in a multi-ethnic population-based sample of women with breast cancer. Cancer 2011;9:1827-36.
Jagsi, R., Abrahamse, P., Morrow, M., Hamilton, A.S., Graff, J.J., Katz, S.J. Coordination of breast cancer care between radiation oncologists and surgeons: a survey study. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2012;82(5):2072-78.
Jagsi, R., Abrahamse, P., Hawley, S.T., Graff, J.J., Hamilton, A.S., Katz, S.J. Underascertainment of radiotherapy receipt in Surveillance, Epidemiology and End Results registry data. Cancer 2012;118(2):331-41.
Griggs, J.J., Hawley, S.T., Graff, J.J., Hamilton, A.S., Jagsi, R., Janz, N.K., Mujahid, M.S., Friese, C.R., Salem, B., Abrahamse, P., Katz, S.J. Factors associated with receipt of breast cancer adjuvant chemotherapy in a diverse population-based sample. J Clinical Oncology 2012;30(25):3058-64.
Hawley, S.T., Lillie, S.E., Morris, A., Graff, J.J., Hamilton, A.S., Katz, S.J. Surgeon-level variation in patients’ appraisals of their breast cancer treatment experiences. Ann Surg Oncol 2012; Oct 6, Epub ahead of print.