Having served as Chief of Gynecologic Oncology at the Cancer Institute of New Jersey since 2000, I have helped thousands of women navigate and better understand their gynecologic disease. I am specially trained in performing minimally-invasive robotic surgery and can help patients decide whether this option is right for them. With a comprehensive service line available through the Fannie E. Rippel Center for Women’s Reproductive Cancers/Gynecologic Oncology Program, our team is able to provide unique treatment, management and prevention options all under one roof.
Since my training as a fellow at the University of Michigan, my ultimate goal has been to better understand the mechanism behind the spread of ovarian cancer. As a clinician and scientific investigator, I have the unique opportunity to conduct research then to translate those findings into today’s cancer treatments. Some of my long-standing research has focused on the role that the CD44 cell surface receptor plays in the ovarian cancer metastasis. Furthermore, my laboratory discovered that CD44 also promotes drug resistance in cancer cells. More excitingly is our latest discovery that CD44 is a transcription factor that helps promote the expression of genes involved in cancer metastasis and drug resistance.
I am the author or co-author of more than 45 publications.
The Cancer Institute of New Jersey is dedicated to accelerating the transformation of cancer treatment into therapeutic approaches that are directed by genomic, proteomic, and metabolomics analysis. To this end, the Cancer Institute launched a Precision Medicine Initiative. As the Director of this initiative, I am presently building a multidisciplinary team that will provide patients with cancer treatments tailored to target each individual’s tumor specific mutation. With this new treatment approach, we expect higher cure/remission rates.
Ovarian cancer, endometrial cancer, cervical cancer, gynecologic cancers, vulvar cancer, precision medicine
- Selected as a NJ Top Doctor for Women’s Health by NJTopDocs.com (2011)
- Selected as one of New York Metro Area’s Top Doctors by Castle Connolly Medical, Ltd. (2013)
- Selected as one of the Best Doctors in America by Best Doctors, Inc. USA, (2014)
- Selected as a Top Doctor for Women's Health featured in Inside New Jersey Magazine (2010-2012, 2014)
- Selected as a Top Doctor for Cancer featured in Inside New Jersey Magazine (2013, 2014)
- Selected as one of New York Metro Area’s Top Doctors by Castle Connolly Medical, Ltd. (2014)
- Selected as one of New Jersey’s Outstanding Physician by Castle Connolly Medical, Ltd. (2014)
To schedule a new patient appointment call 732-235-8515.
For all other inquiries call 732-235-2465.