Having served as Chief of Gynecologic Oncology at The Cancer Institute of New Jersey since 2000, I have helped thousands of women navigate and better understand their gynecologic disease. I am specially trained in performing minimally-invasive robotic surgery and can help patients decide whether this option is right for them. With a comprehensive service line available through the Fannie E. Rippel Center for Women’s Reproductive Cancers/Gynecologic Oncology Program, our team is able to provide unique treatment, management and prevention options all under one roof.
Since my training as a fellow at the University of Michigan, my ultimate goal has been to better understand the mechanism behind the spread of ovarian cancer. As a clinician and scientific investigator, I have the unique opportunity to conduct research then to translate those findings into today’s cancer treatments. Some of my long-standing research has focused on the role that the CD44 cell surface receptor plays in the ovarian cancer metastasis. Furthermore, my laboratory discovered that CD44 also promotes drug resistance in cancer cells. More excitingly is our latest discovery that CD44 is a transcription factor that helps promote the expression of genes involved in cancer metastasis and drug resistance.
I am the author or co-author of more than 40 publications.
The Cancer Institute of New Jersey is dedicated to accelerating the transformation of cancer treatment into therapeutic approaches that are directed by genomic, proteomic, and metabolomics analysis. To this end, The Cancer Institute of New Jersey launched a Precision Medicine Initiative. As the Director of this new initiative, I am presently building a multidisciplinary team that will provide patients with cancer treatments tailored to target each individual’s tumor specific mutation. With this new treatment approach, we expect higher cure/remission rates.
Ovarian cancer, gynecologic cancers, women’s health issues
- Outstanding New Jersey Physician, Castle Connolly Medical, Ltd., 2009
- NJ Top Doctor for Women’s Health, NJTopDocs.com, 2011
- Inside Jersey Top Doctors, 2011, Castle Connolly Medical, Ltd., 2011
- New Jersey Monthly’s, Jersey Choice Top Doctor, New Jersey Monthly, 2012
- Top Doctors: New York Metro Area, Castle Connolly Medical, Ltd., 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012
- Inside Jersey, A Super List of Jersey’s Best Top Doctors, Castle Connolly, Ltd., 2012
- Inside Jersey Top Cancer Doctors, Castle Connolly Medical, Ltd., 2012
To schedule an appointment call 732-235-8515.